Untap your genius-ness
What will you do with the time you have?
GENIUS is the act of solving a problem in a way no one has solved it before. It has nothing to do with winning a Nobel prize in physics or attaining certain levels of schooling. It’s about using human insight and initiative to find original solutions that matter. A genius is someone with exceptional abilities and the insight to find the not so obvious solution to a problem; a genius looks at something that others are stuck on and gets the world unstuck” (Godin, ch 1).
FAQ about Genius Hour
Growing our Genius. Genius Hour Introduction
What is Genius Hour? A letter to students and parents about Genius Hour
What are the Requirements for Genius Hour?
There are very few "requirements." Throughout the learning process, students will share their requirements with one another and a larger audience on their blog.
- K - What Knowledge was gained? This project at its core is a research project. The part that makes it so unique and wonderful, is the fact that it is chosen by students from their interests.
- I - Make an Impact: Students will be expected to make an impact on the world, whether small or big.
- P - What is your Passion? Activities that get you thinking and actively involved in your passion & Genius Hour project. 20% of their time (1 day per week) is their's to explore, learn, create, discover, research a topic that interests them. They are then asked to "Make an impact" with their topic of choice, no matter how small the impact.
- KIP Talk: Students will give their own KIP talks to share their knowledge, the impact they have made and why they are passionate about this project.
How can someone see the KIP talks?
- Online: presentations will be streamed online as a live Google Hangout on Air.
- After the Talks: Talks can be viewed on YouTube after the talks are complete.
2017-2018 KIP Talks
2015-2016 Genius Hour
Past Genius Hour
2014-2015 Genius Hour
2013-2014 Genius Hour
Ryan & Carsen & Hunter: THE PEOPLES CENTER
Rylee & Taylor: 9/11
Trenton & Adam & Jeremiah & Gray: KIDS FOOD BASKET
Josie & Kailey: BULLYING
Ben Bo: RUNNING FOR COLORECTAL CANCER
Ivy & Emily: PAY IT FORWARD
Kylee: ANIMAL SHELTERS
Jake: A LITTLE BIT OF EVERYTHING
Siera: 3D PRINTING
Dane & Ben Bis: GOT BRICK?
Ben A: SHOE PAINTING - Ben's Shoe Painting Shop site
Drew & Connor: ALTERNATIVE ENERGY: WINDPOWER
Erica: MANGA ART
Branden: MENTAL GAMES
Nathan: KHAN ACADEMY
Robby: WAKE SURFING FOR TROUBLED TEENS
Mr Kipling: YOUR FUTURE